Saturday, April 11, 2009

Which way do you face?

Ryan's Neurologist holds him gently and spins him slowly around. No matter where they stop, Ryan always turns his face to the light. Some refer to it as being a "light gazer." The significance is that we know that Ryan at the very least sees light.

As I've thought about this, I've wondered. What about me? Am I a light gazer?

Think about the word light. There's the Webster's definition: something that makes vision possible; daylight or dawn; spiritual illumination; something to presented to view; something that enlightens or informs; a set of principles, standards or opinions.

Then think about what we learn about the word light from the scriptures:

Ye are the light of the world. ... Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

... the light of the glorious gospel of Christ .... (2 Corinthians 4:4)

... walk in the light .... (1 John 1:7)

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalms 119:105)

... when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me. ... he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness. (Micah 7: 8-9)

And, of course, there's Isaiah's great discourse on fasting: Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday. (Isaiah 58: 8, 10)

And, probably my favorite on this subject... Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. (John 8: 12)

So, what about you? Are you a light gazer?

No comments: