Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Update on Ryan

Ryan started running a low grade fever Sunday night. He went to bed at his usual 10'ish and woke up at 1 with the "scared-to-death" cry. There seemed to be nothing I could do to soothe him. This lasted for about 2 minutes. (Our neurologist thinks these may be "break through seizures.") He did this about 3 times and then finally went back to sleep at about 2 am.

When I still hadn't heard anything from Ryan at 10.30 am on Monday, I started to worry a little. I went into check on him and was so relieved when I felt his chest moving up and down. He didn't stir at all to my touch. I decided to let him sleep a little while longer. I went in again at 11.30 am. He was still doing fine. I went in again at 12.30 pm and changed his diaper. He slept through the whole thing. Did not stir, at all. I checked in on him again at 1.30, and finally decided to wake him at 2 pm. I got him out of bed and spent the next 45 minutes getting him to drink his medicine, drop by drop. He was asleep again by 3 pm. He slept most of the rest of the day with just brief periods of wakefulness.

I took his temperature and it was at 101 degrees F at 2 pm and down to 99 degrees F by 9 pm that evening. He repeated the same "scared-to-death" cry last night, but woke at his usual 9.30 am. He has been running a low-grade fever (not higher than 100) all day, and has been unusually cranky. However, he has been more wakeful today. He doesn't appear to be cutting teeth. His congestion has cleared up quite a bit. I don't see anything that is concerning, other than his fever, his crankiness, and his unusual sleep patterns.

He has been having clusters of seizures today. It's my understanding though that additional seizures are pretty typical when a child with a seizure disorder has a fever or an illness.

My day is already crazy busy tomorrow, but I'm thinking I probably need to squeeze in an appointment to see the Pediatrician. Maybe he has an ear infection? We have an appointment with the Neurologist tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately, he's the best of the best so it'll probably take 6-8 hours.

I've only had about 4 hours of sleep for the past few nights. So, I'm off to bed. I have some fun updates and pictures of the other kids. I'll try to get to them tomorrow night! I'll be sure to post an update on the appointments tomorrow. Keep him in your prayers, please. Love you all!

No comments: