Saturday, August 1, 2009

Reality

Today Dwight and I went to look for a new stroller for Ryan. We currently have a frame type stroller that we just put the infant carseat into. So, there is no seat. Ryan is quickly outgrowing the infant car seat, and so we thought we probably need to start looking for a new stroller.

We talked to the Developmental Pediatrician about what type to get. We had originally thought we'd be getting a mobility stroller; however, the insurance will not pay for a mobility stroller (ie child's wheelchair) until he's 3 years old. So, they recommended we find a stroller with a 5 point harness and a reclining seat.

Easier said than done. Did you know there is a $760 stroller? A stroller for $760. I personally think that for $760, it ought to change diapers too. Anyway ... we found 2 that seem like they would work. The best option is $350 and the next best option is $200. The best part of the $200 option is that it's neon green. Ryan would love that! :)

So tonight I thought I'd do some research. What do others with similar issues use? Oh, reality has hit kind of hard. One of the websites I have read bits of is about a little boy with Cerebral Palsy. In the past I have thought, "Well, at least Ryan doesn't have all that going on." But tonight as I went back to the older posts, reality hit. The other little boy at Ryan's age could sit unassisted for 20-30 seconds, could chew food, could pull himself with his arms, could lift his head when lying on his tummy.

I usually don't compare Ryan to other babies. Geez, we had so many babies born in our church congregation within just a few months either side of Ryan's birth that I learned very quickly not to compare him. Sundays were hard for a while. When I'd see the baby that was born less than 2 weeks after Ryan doing things, or our dear friend Gabriel who was born a month after Ryan cruising all over, it was hard. But I came to terms with it. Ryan just has health issues that we'll need to overcome.

But this other boy has similar issues to Ryan. It's just hard tonight. But tomorrow as I snuggle with Ryan at church when other Moms are chasing and trying to manage wiggly little ones, I will be able to remember all the blessings that are mine. And, I am truly thankful that our other little friends are healthy and into everything.

So enough blubbering for tonight. I've got several new pictures I need to post. Hopefully, I'll get to that tomorrow.

No comments: