Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This is not what I had imagined...

When I was a little girl, I definitely had an idea of what it would be like to be a grown up. We all do, don't we?

I couldn't wait to grow up. I don't really remember a time when I couldn't wait to be older and able to do more things. It wasn't that I wanted out of my parents house or out of my town, like some kids do. It wasn't that I dreamed of getting married or being a mom, like some girls do. It was that I wanted to work in an office, travel to lots of places, attend meetings, organize events, own my own company.

It wasn't a vague perception. It was a definite idea. That probably doesn't surprise you, if you know me.

Well, tonight as I was picking up the Christmas ornaments off the piano bench and putting them back on the Christmas tree (again), it occurred to me that I am a grown up. Yup. I really am a grown up. And, this is not what I had in mind.

It's better.

Much better.

I have worked in an office, traveled to lots of places, attended plenty of meetings, organized many events, and even owned my own company, but this grown up thing is far better than I had imagined.

I am so thankful that God does not just bless us with what WE want, but stretches us and gives us blessings so that we can enjoy greater happiness than we can imagine!

No comments: