Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shoe Shopping with the Little Lady

Deborah has needed new play shoes for a while. Shoe shopping is usually a task that I let Dwight handled with the kids. I think he's just better at it than me. But he hasn't had time so I thought I would get it done.

So I took Deborah to a shoe store and looked through the racks of shoes. I showed her lots of nice shoes and she said "no" to all of them. Finally, she found two pairs of shoes that she thought would be acceptable.


I know the picture is not great. I took it on my phone, but can you tell from the picture that they are boy shoes. Definitely boy shoes. One has transformers on them. The other has cars. At first I thought she liked them cause they had lights. You know the kind that light up when you walk in them. So, I found a pair of nice girl shoes that had lights. "No."

When I realized I was fighting a losing battle, I let her try the car shoes on for size. I rationalized that I had better more important battles to fight than this one. As she RAN down the aisle, she said, "Look, Mommy! These shoes make me run FAST!!!"

That was the key. She wanted shoes that could make her run fast. So I found a beautiful (and inexpensive) pair of tennis shoes that were white with purple accents, and said, "Oh, Deborah, THESE shoes will make you run REALLY FAST!"

Guess which shoes we bought? :)

It really is all about the marketing.

No comments: