Friday, September 25, 2009

After a decade, the trauma has settled enough that I was willing to risk it again. The Sea Monkeys are back!


Oh, you don't know about the trauma? About 10 years ago, my sweet little Jacob dumped a container full of those little "monkeys" on my bed. Ewwww.... I had dreams for several nights ... bad dreams ... about those creepy looking little critters crawling all over me. Still gives me the creeps.


Kind of odd that Sea Monkeys would give me the creeps. When I was a little girl, I loved Sea Monkeys. Didn't every kid? Do you remember the ads? The little critters swimming through rings, happily sitting around a dinner table, kissing, tossing balls back and forth, smiling, and waving. I remember seeing those ads and thinking that if I could ever get things just right then they'd look like the happy little monkeys in the pictures.


In buying them for Johnathon, a part of me still hoped that they would look like the cute little pictures of smiling people like critters. I anxiously waited with Johnathon for a couple of days as we watched every few hours to see the sea monkeys hatching. In the name of helping Johnathon, I have protected the sea monkeys from hands that might destroy the chances of the Sea Monkeys growing up to smile and wave at us as they swim through their aquarium.

But, tonight as I looked at the 1/8 inch creature swimming around, reality struck. My cute little Sea Monkeys really look like this:


Creepy.

No comments: