Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Today is Treatment #7

It's almost time to leave for treatment #7. It finally feels like I'll be finished soon. Hopefully, we'll repeat last week's success and only require 1 poke for the IV.

A lot of you have asked what happens after the treatments finish.

As you know I have finished the radiation treatments. They were very successful in that the lumps they radiated are gone. The only things left are the biopsy marks and the radiation burns. The radiation burns are even healing. They are no longer raw, thankfully. They just look darker than my pasty white skin and some of them are really bumpy.

Two weeks after my last drug treatment, I will meet with the Oncologist again to discuss my status. I have a couple of other areas of concern that will probably be biopsied. They have been somewhat responsive to the drug treatments, but they are not gone. Their response has made me wonder if they are also cancerous. I'm hoping that we can do a PET scan or some sort of test to verify that there is NO more cancer in my body. I know insurance companies do not like to do PET scans due to their expense, but I don't want to let some cancer cells continue to develop either.

So, I'm hopeful that the drug treatments have been successful and that we can put this cancer issue to rest for a while. However, I do have a little whisper telling me that I need to push for further tests. I hope it's just me being paranoid. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

But for today ... I think I'll just keep praying for the people in Haiti, the victims and those who are there to help. Can you imagine how scary today's aftershock must have been? Maybe you'll join me in prayers for them?

No comments: