Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I am thankful for...

friends. Amazing friends. Supportive friends. Quiet friends. Feisty friends. Loving friends. Family friends.

The day I heard the Cancer diagnosis, I told my family: my sweetheart, my Dad, my Mom, my sister. They were wonderful. I also told my dear friend. He understood. He has Cancer. I told no one else.

A couple of days later, I called one of our great friends. He answered the phone. He said, "How are you?" I said, "I'm fine. How are you?" He said, "I'm fine, too. But you don't sound fine." I knew he knew. But, what did he know? I said, "Yes, I do!" He replied, "Would you like a blessing?" Then I knew he knew. A couple of days later, my sweetheart and I spent a few hours with him and his wife. We received Priesthood blessings, much love, and support. And, we walked away with a plan.

My joyful friend sat with me at the Oncologist visit while I was curled up in the chair feeling very anxious. She made it all seem so okay. So normal.

The next day, I shared the news with my sweetest friend. I knew from the look on her face that while she shares my faith, she also shared my concern. She has called frequently. She has brought meals ... feasts. She has sat with my children while I attended appointments. She has prayed. I know she has prayed.

Friends who did not know why they were worried voiced their concern for me and told me I was in their prayers. Then they waited for the time when I felt I could share the news with them. They offered their continued prayers and all their support. Any thing. Any time.

One day my stalwart friend showed up at my door with loaves of delicious bread and "nothing to offer." But she shared her heart and her experience. As we talked I was reminded that I can be like her: I can be strong. I can be faithful.

A busy friend, a new friend that I visit teach, brought my family food so that I would not have to worry about it after a day of appointments.

My long time friend offered to be the shoulder I can cry on. Another long time friend offered to fly me to her beautiful home for a respite. Another long time friend offered child care any time.

I wish I could detail all the acts of service to you. I have written them in my journals. I know the angels have recorded them.

So many friends have called. Many friends have served. So many, many friends have prayed. So many friends have believed that our prayers will be heard.

I am thankful for you, my friends!

No comments: