Sunday, June 20, 2010

Discouragement

This morning I did the normal Sunday morning rush to get the children ready for church. Yet it seemed that no one was ready on time and no one seemed to be concerned that we were running behind. We finally managed to have everyone ready but Ryan (and me). I was feeling so overwhelmed and frustrated that I just sent them all out the door to church with Grandma Mann and even thought about just staying home. But, as I put dinner in the crockpot, I realized that I was allowing myself to feel discouraged. I started to wonder why.

Why would I feel discouraged now? After all, the cancer is in remission. Ryan is not having as many seizures. We don't have as many doctors appointments. I am very blessed. Why would I feel discouraged?

As I thought about it, I realized that for the past few months of intense times, I have focused on the things of most value and allowed other things to fall to the back of the list. I have focused on family, scriptures, prayers, faith, gratitude, etc. Now that the intense times have lightened, I have started to worry about the nit-picky stuff with the house, and my weight, etc. Not to say that those things aren't important, but they are NOT the most important things.

Just realizing it took the power away from those things to discourage me. I am still concerned about getting this extra weight off me. It doesn't feel good to be out of shape and I am more out of shape than I have ever been in my life. I'll be 42 soon and I want to be fit and forty, not fat and forty. So, I'll work on it, but not before I do the other things and not with more effort than I'll give the more important things.

So, I return to the approach of "Let us CHEERFULLY do all things that lie in our power" with a renewed zeal and the knowledge that "we may then stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for His arm to be revealed."

I *know* without a doubt that God will bless and has blessed our lives. I look forward to sharing more of those great blessings with each of you.

No comments: